Verizon and Newlab created the 5G Studio to support the development of next-generation 5G applications that have the power to transform industries such as mobility, energy, and manufacturing, creating the ecosystems of the future. Since 2020, companies developing products in autonomous systems, mobility, EV charging, computer vision, location technologies, machine learning, A.I., and more, have piloted new and unprecedented technologies in the 5G Studio.
The 5G Studio, created by Verizon and Newlab, is recruiting participants focused on manufacturing, warehouse logistics, and industrial automation. Chosen participants will have the opportunity to use Verizon’s 5G network and Mobile Edge Compute at Newlab and work alongside LGE to build transformative applications that can fundamentally change how they approach and scale solutions across their sectors.
Enable the next industrial revolution—make smart factories a reality, redefine production, supercharge workforces, and dramatically change supply chains to quickly and more effectively deliver products to market.
Newlab’s location in the Brooklyn Navy Yard is part of a 300-acre industrial campus that once served as the nation’s premier shipbuilding facility, and is the ideal test-bed for innovative technologies and pilot programs built for land, water, or air.
Testing will take place on Verizon’s 5G network with Mobile Edge Compute at Newlab, where participants will have the opportunity to build applications that have the power to transform how industries will approach and deliver solutions in a range of sectors.
Companies selected to participate in the 5G Studio do not need to relocate to New York City; however, in addition to the onsite development period, there will be key meetings during the Studio when attendance in person is mandatory. On those dates, senior leadership and product specialists must be physically present in New York City in order to present solutions and progress, as well as interact with others, such as the rest of the cohort, industry experts, and mentors.
About Verizon: Founding Studio Partner
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) was formed on June 30, 2000 and is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services. Headquartered in New York City and with a presence around the world, Verizon generated revenues of $133.6 billion in 2021. The company offers data, video and voice services and solutions on its award-winning networks and platforms, delivering on customers’ demand for mobility, reliable network connectivity, security and control.
The New Business Incubation team at Verizon is focused on accelerating the symbiotic relationship between humans and machines through the orchestration of platforms and services enabling the 5G economy and supporting Industry 4.0.
By bridging the physical and digital worlds, we are giving machines sight and humans the ability to accomplish more through automation. By combining intelligent software with the transformational power of the Verizon 5G network and Mobile Edge Compute, we are working to create new autonomous ecosystems.
Learn more about how we are enabling our customers to solve their challenges and meet the moment of Industry 4.0 by digitizing their systems and processes.
LG Electronics, "LGE" is a subsidiary of LG Group. LG focuses on delivering products and services that make lives better, easier and happier through increased functionality and fun. Put simply, They offer the latest innovations to make “Life Good” – from home appliances, consumer electronics, and B2B solutions to innovations in digital signage, air conditioning, solar, and vehicle components. As a global leader, They strive for greatness in product leadership, market leadership, and people leadership to realize our growth strategies
Over the past five years, LG Smart Park, a production base of LGE, was selected as a Lighthouse Factory by the World Economic Forum (WEF). Shaping the future of manufacturing, WEF “Lighthouse” facilities implement industry 4.0 technologies such as Internet of Things, big data, AI, and Robotics, into manufacturing and supply chain operations to deliver a wide range of benefits, from increased production efficiency to enhanced environmental sustainability.
- By submitting an application, each Applicant warrants and represents the following with respect to its application: (a) Applicant is the sole and exclusive owner of its submission and that submission is not subject to any claim of ownership by any third party; (b) the idea, concept, product or technology in the application are Applicant’s own creation and is 100% original; and (c) the idea, concept, product or technology in the application will not infringe on any intellectual property, proprietary, moral, or other rights of any third parties.
- Participants will be required to execute an agreement that contains basic terms about participation in the 5G Studio, including confidentiality.
- Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements and costs/expenses, and for obtaining all necessary travel documents, including valid passports and visas, and for complying with all health or other government regulations required for travel to New York City.
- No legal advice, including regarding intellectual property, will be provided to Participants.
- Newlab reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the 5G Studio.
- U.S. law applies.
Who is eligible to apply to participate in the 5G Studio?
- The 5G Studio is open only to corporate entities organized under the laws of the United States with 200 employees or fewer.
- A Cohort may either be (i) an entity duly organized and validly existing inside the U.S.; or (ii) an entity duly organized and validly existing outside the U.S., in which case such entity requires prior approval.
- Applications from companies at all stages of maturity will be considered.
- To be eligible to participate, Applicants must own (or have the legal right to use) the rights to any intellectual property related to all technologies, products, solutions, etc. included in their applications.
Who is NOT eligible to apply or participate in the 5G Studio?
- Employees, officers and directors of Verizon Innovation LLC (“Verizon”) and New Lab, LLC ("Newlab"), and all of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, dealers, agents, advertising/promotion agencies and vendors, and all of their respective immediate family and household members are not eligible to apply or participate.
- Any individuals or entities sanctioned or otherwise restricted under laws administered by the U.S. Departments of Commerce, State or the Treasury are not eligible to apply or participate.
Who will review my application?
Applications will be assessed by LGE, Verizon, and Newlab decision-makers, and potentially by external industry experts and/or business subject matter experts.
What is the selection criteria?
Applications will be considered based on how the product and technology can demonstrate the art of the possible and create real impact in the areas of focus, thanks to the power of Verizon's 5G. Note: This is a guide for how your application will be reviewed, and it is at the decision-makers' discretion to evaluate applications on criteria not included here.
How long is the 5G Studio?
Once 5G Studio Participants are selected, they will work for approximately one to two (1-2) months to design, execute, and test their solutions on Verizon’s 5G network. Once the concept is finalized, Participants will spend one to two weeks onsite at Newlab to develop their application over the 5G network.
What else do 5G Studio Participants receive for participating in the 5G Studio?
5G Studio Participants will be provided with a 6-month Newlab Flex II membership (valid for two individuals, and starting when the Participant is notified of selection), which provides flexible access to Newlab's 84,000 square foot space in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, access to a peer community of 200+ companies scaling transformative technology, and offers collaborative workspace and onsite prototyping resources, including 3D printing, CNC milling, wood and metal shops, casting, and finishing, textiles, electronics, and more.